The International College of Cranio-Mandibular Orthopedics (ICCMO)
We are a society of health care professionals who have a common interest in the anatomy and physiology of occlusion, jaw function and orthopedics dysfunction (TMJ-D) with resultant symptoms in the head and neck.
ICCMO members pledge to apply the highest level of integrity and objectivity in the care of their patients, and the organization pledges itself to the following:
[list type=”icon” style=”none” icon=”plus”]
- To understand the physiology of jaw function
- To alleviate the widespread human suffering of those persons afflicted with head and neck pain and dysfunction (TMJ-D)
- To encourage study of the anatomy, physiology, biophysics and pathology of the human neuromuscular system
- To develop research and educational programs that will identify and define the principles of neuromuscular dentistry
- To teach interested professionals how the principles of neuromuscular dentistry are applicable to the treatment of malocclusion, dental restoration, and the various pathological conditions of headache, sleep apnea, temporomandibular dysfunction, and head and neck postural dysfunction
- To encourage research and development of equipment that allows objective measurement and recording of normal function and existing pathological neuromuscular conditions of the bones, muscles, nerves, joints and ligaments of the head and neck
- To sponsor educational scientific meetings that provide instruction in the application of these various neuromuscular principles to the practice of dentistry
- To encourage our members in this field of scientific endeavor for the ultimate benefit of the people of the world
- To promote publications of neuromuscular studies in dentistry
- To actively endeavor to maintain “Freedom of Practice” for all of the College’s members enabling them to practice in accordance with their professional expertise, license and the needs and desires of each patient and to protect their right to “Freedom of Practice”
Exchange of ideas, practices and research
ICCMO was founded in 1979 by Dr. Bernard Jankelson, the Father of the Neuromuscular Dental Occlusion Concept, together with an international group of clinicians and dental educators.
The College was created as a non-commercial, not for profit organization to provide an open forum for the free exchange of ideas, practices, and research in the field of neuromuscular dentistry in an atmosphere of camaraderie and professionalism.
Over three decades later, ICCMO continues to grow and thrive with active Sections in the United States, Canada, Japan, Germany, Italy, France, Russia and South America. ICCMO has played a key role throughout these years in gaining recognition and acceptance of neuromuscular dentistry (NMD) and the computerized measurement devices used in clinical practice in the US and abroad. In addition, the ICCMO is a member of the American Alliance of TMD Organizations.
ICCMO members have proven the validity of neuromuscular dental principles and practices through programs at universities, dental organizations and governmental bodies, together with scientific publications in peer reviewed medical and dental journals.
North American ICCMO members on behalf of the College have made presentations before the ADA, USFDA and NIDCR (NIH).
Similar activities have transpired in Europe, Japan and South America. Textbooks on TMD have been authored by ICCMO members and published in the US, Japan, and Italy.
[button linking=”default” link=”http://occlusiontmjauthority.com/new-membership-application/” align=”center” size=”medium” type=”standard” style=”solid” title=”title”]Membership Application [/button]